Wednesday 22 July 2009

Been Away

I've been away from posting and forums and so forth for the last couple of months, and there is a good reason for that. I've changed jobs, moved house and a couple of other issues I won't go into. Needless to say circumstances have settled down somewhat and I can again focus on my writing.

Quick updates, I've appeared in Midnight Echo #2 edited by Shane Jiraiya Cummings and Angela Challis for the Australian Horror Writer's Association, with my award winning short story "Homo Canis".

I've got reviews appearing in Albedo One where I've now been made a contributing editor (thanks guys!). Those reviews incidentally are Year's Best Australian Science Fiction & Fantasy Vol. 4 edited by Bill Congreve and Michelle Marquardt, Matter by Iain M. Banks, Angel Rising by Dirk Flinthart, and The Second Black Book of Horror edited by Charles Black.

My Call of Cthulhu gaming scenario "The Burning Stars" appeared in Terrors from Beyond from Chaosium. Although there were some layout and editing problems, the book otherwise looks impressive. It got a pretty good review from Pookie on Game Cryer. Here is an extract:

Terrors From Beyond saves its best for last. David Conyers’ “The Burning Stars” is the highlight of the collection, managing to meet the book’s lofty claims with aplomb. ... Another pleasure of reading this scenario is discovering how much of it is tied into earlier Call of Cthulhu scenarios and campaigns, the author taking the time to make it as much part of Call of Cthulhu canon as no other author does. It is refreshing to see an author acknowledge the history of the game in this fashion and it would be fantastic to see the author carry this into a full campaign – which David Conyers should be allowed to write…

I attended Conjecture where I didn't win a Ditmar, met some really familiar faces including D.M Cornish, Sean Williams and Jeff Harris, and met some new writers and editors I'd only previously known through email or reputation including Jason Fischer, Pat McNamara, Dirk Flinthardt, Jason Nahrung, Peter M. Ball, Kirstyn McDermott, Alisia Krasnostein and many others. Nice to finally put faces to so many names.

I've had some interesting developments behind the scenes too, interviewing one of Australia's most prominent science fiction authors which will appear in a future issue of Albedo One. And a couple of projects in the works in the United States which are looking very promising. More news on that later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, thanks for the personal and professional updates.

Congratulations on the "Contributing Editor" title at ALBEDO ONE.

Good luck with your upcoming publications!

David Conyers said...

Thanks Jeff!