Tuesday 8 December 2009

The 2009 Scorecard

I've decided at the end of each year I will summarise what I have achieved in writing, as a record as much for myself as to share with those who read my blog. I did the same last year, and comparing the two my output in 2009 was slightly better than last year, although no novel yet.

All of my new short stories this year were published overseas, and included:
  • "Six-Legged Shadows" with Brian M. Sammons in Monstrous (Permuted Press)
  • "Black Water" in Jupiter 24
  • "The Octagon" in Jupiter 26
  • "The Garden Fortress" in Thrilling Tales #4 (Rainfall Books)
  • "The Lord of the Law" in The Fourth Black Book of Horror.

Reprints include:

  • "Subtle Invasion" in Australian Dark Fantasy & Horror Vol 3 (Brimstone Press)
  • "Homo Canis" in Midnight Echo #2 (Australian Horror Writers Association) also received an honourable mention in Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year Vol 1
  • "Stomach Acid" with Brian M. Sammons in Cthulhu Unbound 2 (Permuted Press).

Other publications include:

  • "Virtual Worlds and Imagined Futures" an interview with Greg Egan in Albedo One 37
  • "The Burning Stars" Call of Cthulhu scenario in Terrors from Beyond (Chaosium) which is gaining incredibly positive reviews and feedback from gamers everywhere
  • Several reviews for Albedo One.

Other achievements include a Ditmar nomination for my science fiction tale "Soft Viscosity" in 2012 (Twelfth Planet Press), I attended GenConOz as a guest, and I sold several stories to various magazines and anthologies, one of which is a science fiction tale appearing in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine. I'm also editing a new anthology of Cthulhu Mythos tales with Brian M. Sammons that will be published by Permuted Press, and I'm editing a collection of Call of Cthulhu gaming scenarios for a yet to be named publisher.

Several books with my stories which didn't come out this year but might in 2010 included:

  • "Emergency Rebuild" in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 43
  • "Sister of the Sands" in Cthulhu's Dark Cults (Chaosium) (which I incidentally edited way back in 2007)
  • “Subtle Invasion” in Best New Tales of the Apocalypse (Permuted Press)
  • "Dream Machine" in Scenes from the Second Storey (Morrigan Books)
  • "The Hag of Zais" in Eldritch Steel (Elder Signs Press)
  • "Sweet as Decay" with David Witteveen in Macabre (Brimstone Press)
  • "The Swelling" reprinted at Innsmouth Free Press
  • A new Harrison Peel tale has also been sold, but I've been asked to keep closed lipped about this one until the publisher makes an announcement.

I had hoped to output more this year, but a redundancy and now having to change states for financial/work reasons, I guess has affected my output. Hopefully once I'm settled in Sydney in the new year, that will all change.

1 comment:

David Conyers said...

I should also add a French translation of Secrets of Kenya to this post, although I didn't know it was out when I posted this entry.