Albedo One is proud to announce the winners of the Aeon Award 2009 short fiction contest. This ran from January 1st 2009 to November 30th 2009. All stories shortlisted for the contest are listed below, with the names of each author now revealed.
Grand Judge Ian Watson chose the winners. First place went to "Frogs on My Doorstep" by Annette Reader. Watson described the story as "very intriguing and full of emotional impact. The alternate world concept is handled very convincingly, and is reminiscent of the recent work of Chris Beckett." Reader receives the €1000 Grand Prize and publication in Albedo One.
Second place goes to "Bridges" by Nick Wood. Watson said the story, featuring a future South Africa in which apartheid never ended, is "politically acute and powerful, with its heart in the right place… and is in many ways a 'textbook story', because it's so well done." Second prize is €200 and publication in Albedo One.
Third place goes to "Canis Lupus, Rosa Canina" by Judith Brown. Watson said "the story is nasty, but brilliantly written, with masterly descriptions of landscape and powerful imagery." Third prize is €100 and publication in Albedo One.
Thank you to all who entered and supported the contest in 2009!
- A Falcon Sharp and Passing - Donald Mead
- Canis Lupus, Rosa Canina - Judith Brown
- Frogs on my Doorstep - Annette Reader
- Something Other - David Heaton
- Bridges - Nick Wood
- Fenn, Brother of Francis - Susan McElheran
- He Who Picks the Bones - Frank W. Haubold (translated by Jason Roberts)
- Trimble Does Time - Gerard Farrell
- In the Boughs of his Blood Orange Tree a Vampire Sat to Dream of Love - Ian Wild
- Stars in the Skies - Jennifer Harwood-Smith
- Don't Go Playing with Naiads - Alice Godwin
- The Girl in the Blue Bikini - Peter Loftus
- Once, When the Sun Rose in the West - Susan Lanigan
- Deconstruction - Alexis Boddy
- Reflected Glory - Peter Loftus
- Conversion - Jennifer Harwood-Smith
- All the Beautiful Lights of Heaven - Russ Colson
- Star in a Glass - Vaughan Stanger
- Wailing Wheel - Joe Nazare
- Angele Dei - Chandler Kaiden
- Lost Things - Jennifer Harwood-Smith
- On the Feast of Stephen - Cyril Simsa
- The Art of the Intractable - Nathan Jones
- Gordon Street - Katharine Clayden
- Pirate Copies - Ian D. Martin
Remember, the Aeon Award 2010 is now open for entries to November 30th 2010. Details can be found here